Udhagamandalam: Over 50 shops were gutted in a fire that broke out in the Ooty main market in the wee hours of today.
According to Ooty Traders Association, around 1,000 shops were functioning in the market, which includes vegetables, provision stores, fruits, bakery and tea shops.
At around 1.30 am, it was reported that there was a gas cylinder blast which led to fire and it spread across the market. The nearby people after noticing the sound and flames informed the police and fire and resue services department, who rushed to the spot.
Three fire tenders were pressed into operation and also private vehicles were brought in. After three hours of struggle due to heavy wind, the fire was doused and the situation was brought into control. There were no casualities.
District Collector J Innocent Divya and police rushed to the spot and took stock of the situation.
Initial investigation by the police revealed that the fire would have happened due to short circuit in electricity.